For Fur Babies




Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What a Surprise That Was...

Well... Cleveland. TN got a real surprise yesterday... our first snow storm of the year.  No one was prepared for what was to come.  Our weather man didn't come though that was for sure and Al Roker even let us down. I wonder if Ron Burgundy could have done better....hehehe

Anyways, it was a freaking nightmare for us in the Tennessee valley.  There were wrecks every where and traffic was backed up as far as you could see in some areas.


Picture taken from
window of my office
Near where I work the road is hilly (see picture) and 10 or more cars got stuck trying to come down it.  By the time I finally left work there were more stuck cars.

It all started bout 9am when it started to pepper snow and being from Ohio I didn't really think to much about it because it was very fine but then it really started pouring down and by 11:00am the roads were a sheet of ice, schools were shutting down, traffic was backing up, and cars were in ditches.  

Here in the south we are just not equipped to handle such snow falls and with all the hills and valleys around us it just puts things at a stand still. 



My husband had to go to Knoxville that morning so I called him to see if he had started home yet and told him I may want him to swing by the office and pick me up as I might not be able to drive out myself due to the bad conditions which turned out to be the case.  So when he got close to the office I hitched a ride to the corner from a co-worker

that was gonna try the back way home and walked up the hill where the main road (Georgetown/60) was and it was a freaking parking lot one side going out of town towards the school.  I suppose everyone was trying to go pick kids up since school let out.  I was like OMG I don't want my hubby to get caught up in that mess so I kept walking down to the Rt. 75 exit and just as I got up there he was at the end of the exit ramp, Praise the Lord, and I jump in to the car and took off avoiding all that traffic.

So we are driving towards home and just as we are about 5 minutes from the
house we run into a road block.  I guess there must have been some issues going down the hill that is in that area.  We had to turn around and go all the way back to the center of town and take an alternate route.  We finally made it home 45 minutes later (usually about a 13 minute drive) and parked the car at the entrance of our street because it's just too dangerous to try to drive up our street which is just one big giant curvy hill.  There would have been no way we could have parked or gotten up our drive anyway since it's about a 35 to 40 degree angle up.  So we hoofed up the road and up our drive in 15 degree weather and snow.

I hope all my friends are safe at home now and tomorrow will be a nicer day :-)

Keep Smiling!
Sherri 

No comments:

Post a Comment